Background

Sunday, September 14, 2014

One call can change your life

Who would have thought one phone call would change the world. It did, at least it changed my world. I just called my daddy to tell him goodbye. I think he recognized my voice, but I’m not sure. I probably should get in the car and drive back to Indiana; however I don’t want to watch my daddy die.
You see, my grandfather who raised me most of the time. I watched him die, and selfish or not, I cannot do it again. I love you daddy with all my heart. Though as the years passed we didn’t’ spend a great deal of time together, my love for you never wavered.
I won’t go into details of the why, because they really don’t matter. You know what matters? In my eyes you are a young handsome man with shoulder length dark wavy hair and the brightest blue eyes I have ever seen. You let me sit on your back while you do one handed push-ups.
You taught me how to ride a horse and gave me one of the great loves of my life. Bea Bonnet, the loveliest mare to walk the face of the planet. One of my most faithful childhood companions. She was strong, beautiful and loving. I could always count on her for a laugh, or a hug.
She was the first to give me the feeling of flying. When I was on her nothing in the world could get me down. She was like having wings.
I was your little girl for a long time, and then in my teens you gave me two more sisters with blue eyes. The three of us have your eyes, dad. None of us got your dark wavy hair. We all got your love of horses. It seems to be in our blood.
This is my way, odd, or not to say goodbye. Never ever doubt that I love you to the very depth of my soul, and that no matter what happened that love never diminished, never dimmed. Yes tonight I said goodbye, but I know you will always be with me in my heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment